“Who Controls Our Church?” is a previously unpublished article from Dr. Gordon H. Clark’s papers. It is presented to the public for the first time here on the Gordon H Clark Foundation website. Both the original scan of the document and a typed version for search ability are here presented. If you notice any typos on the typed document please email the administrator at email@example.com
**Items from the unpublished papers of Dr. Gordon H. Clark should not be considered his definitive statement on the particular topic addressed. These papers are being provided for educational value. For Dr. Clark’s official positions consult his published writings.**
Notes: This article was written by Gordon H. Clark for the Reformation Fellowship in 1934. The Reformation Fellowship was a group of Fundamentalists within the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. who were seeking for the church to return to the historical Christian theological positions as defined in the Westminster Confession of Faith. The Reformation Fellowship later became the Presbyterian Constitutional Covenant Union, the precursor organization to the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.
Who Controls Our Church?
The men whose names are listed below occupy positions of responsibility and trust in the inner circles of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.
By signing the Auburn Affirmation they have affirmed that to believe the Bible is true throughout is harmful. In other words, they deny that Holy Scripture is the very word of God.
They also relegate to the limbo of either unessentiality or even untruth the Virgin Birth of Christ, his miracles, his sacrifice to satisfy divine justice, and his resurrection.
Note that the Permanent Judicial Commission has four Auburn Affirmationists out of a total ministerial membership of eight. Elders were not eligible as signers of the Auburn Affirmation.
What can be the theological position of the other members of these Boards, Committees, and agencies, who cheerfully and without protest cooperate with the signers of this heretical document?
AUBURN AFFIRMATION SIGNERS
Checked with the General Assembly Minutes of 1934, showing how many signers are in official positions. (Titles omitted.)
1934 GENERAL ASSEMBLY
1. Bills and Overture – Henry C. Millard.
3. National Missions – J.F. Fitchen, Jr.; E.B. Chaffee; K.D. Miller.
5. Foreign Missions – D.E. Cully; H.C. Cornuelle; C.V. Brown; S.A. Hunter; R.M. Davis.
5. Christian Education – S.J. Reid; H.A. Riddle; A.W. Bloomfield; A. McFerran; E.A. Wicher
4. Pensions – Chairman R. Thomsen; A.T. Cort; E.J. Stuart; A.S. Clark.
2. Theological Seminary – Chariman A.P. Highley; Charles J. Wood.
2. Leave of Absence – Chairman J.S. LaRue; L.C. Kirkes.
1. Synodical Records – George Thomas.
1. Nomination Members General Council – J.A. Erickson
3. Nomination Members Permanent Judicial Commission – C.J. Wood; W.T. Hanche; H.R. Upton
2. Resolution of Thanks – F.C. Jones; A.B Haynes.
4. Social Welfare – L.A. Gates; A.F. Wittenberger; James Robertson; L.M. Anderson
These thirty-three signers were on twelve of the thirteen committees including ministers.
MEMBERS OF BOARDS AND AGENCIES
4. General Council – E. Graham Wilson; Wm. E. Brooks.
Special Committee of Five – C.A. Spaulding; E.L. Douglas
2. Department of Church Cooperation – W.P. Merrill; P.C. Johnston.
4. Permanent Judicial Commission – Floyd Poe, 1935; R.H. Nicols, 1937; A. Cardle, 1937; H.K. England, 1939.
22 BOARD OF NATIONAL MISSIONS
E.G. Wilson, General Secretary
W.C. Smith, Assistant
W.H. Boddy; G.A. Buttrick; H.S. Coffin; R. Freeman; R. Thomsen; P.S. Bird; T.G. Speers.
E.L Orr; G.W. Fender.
Executive, Specially Designated Presbyteries
F.T. Steele, F.L. Janeway; L.F. Ruf; C.L. Reynolds; T.F. Savage; F.M. Weston; W. Clyde Smith.
W.B. Jennings; T.F. Savage; H.S. Coffin; P.R. Hickock